Sunday, August 10, 2008

The 100 Push Up Challenge

Alternate Title: How many push ups can you do?

The 100 Push Up Challenge

First, credit to both the Penny-Arcade Forums and 360 Arcadians for cluing me into this particular program.

So push ups. We all have done them at one time or another, probably back when we actually had to take gym in school. I remember actually hating them, and being really, really, really bad at them. Even when I started my workout program, and weight loss attempts, they where something I hated doing, and was the worse at it.

Which brings me to today. While trying to come up with something new to add to my excercise routine, I remembered this particular challenge. And I figured, you know what..it's time. I'm going to attempt it, and going to see just how far I can get into it.

So first, read up on the Initial Test. Done? Okay, good. This is what the entire challenge centers on, so when doing the push ups, make sure to do them right, and go all out. In my first attempt to measure my rank, I pulled off 16 push ups. This is a pretty good accomplishment considering that
  1. These where real push ups. Not the "girly" knee push ups I used to do. (No offense to any women who may read this..as I'm sure some can probably do more..)
  2. Some time ago I doubted I could have even been able to do 1.
So having done 16 push ups, that puts me in rank 3, which is not too bad. Seems to be about average, according to the website.

Now its time to move into the actual plan. This is a 6 week, 3 day a week program with each week progressively becoming harder, and harder. The goal is of course to move from your initial number of push ups, to well...100 push ups. Duh. So let's see what Week 1 has in store for me.

WEEK 1


My upcoming week...

Week 1 looks like this for me:

Day 1
  • 10
  • 10
  • 8
  • 6
  • Max Amount (least 7)
Day 2
  • 12
  • 12
  • 10
  • 10
  • Max (at least 10)

Day 3
  • 15
  • 13
  • 10
  • 10
  • Max (at least 15)
This already looks pretty daunting actually. But I'm going to stick with it. My schedule from will me Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. At the end of the week I'll be updating my progress, and hopefully moving on to the following week's program.

And if anyone comes across this and decides to do it, leave a comment, and let me know how you're doing.




1 comment:

metsfaninphilly said...

Nice find. I'll definitely be giving this a shot.